Recommendation: Rent/Queue it (even if it’s for the kids)
Release Date: 4/29/08
This movie proves a couple of things for me:
- Figure Skaters can’t act (Sasha Cohen is in this one)
- Kids love the darndest movies (mine won’t stop watching it)
Kay Panabaker, who plays Moondance Alexander, is very good in this movie. She does a great job portraying an awkward teenaged girl who doesn’t fit in at school. Her life changes when she meets a horse she names Checkers, who also doesn’t fit in. See, he’s a jumper, but could never fit in at jumping contests because he’s a Pinto and not a pure-blooded thoroughbred horse.
She convinces the tough but fair owner of Checkers to train her and let her enter into a prestigious jumping competition. What follows is a heart warming tale of a bunch of misfits: Moondance, Checkers, Checkers’ owner, Moondance’s mom, etc. are all given a chance to shine. Don’t rent/queue it for the great directing or acting, but for an inspirational story the whole family will enjoy (maybe the kids more than the adults).
These are a bit sparse and what’s there isn’t too great.
- Music Video – I Choose You
- Behind the Scenes and Cast Interviews – this is a bit contrived with the director saying everyone on the film was “fantastic”
- The Music of Moondance Alexander – ditto the above behind the scenes, but the composer saying how “fantastic” the director is